Tuesday, August 30, 2011

8/30/2011

Every one of us has unconsciously catalogued in our memory bank the times when we have been betrayed, hurt or offended by another. Often it is someone that we have loved or trusted. Now while it is vitally important to our spiritual health that we forgive, it is virtually impossible, to forget. As a result of our memory of the sin, it can come to our conscious minds occasionally [or even daily], long after the offense and our initial act of forgiveness. And, that, my friends, is a tough one! To remember a serious sin against us in the past, confronts us with the crisis of forgiveness into the future. As a result, forgiveness must become both a singular event and a way of life.

In Matthew 18:21 & 22 we read, “Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy seven times.” [NIV]

I understand these words of Jesus now…. I cannot forgive my offender only once, I have to forgive him/her every time the memory of the hurt and injustice comes to mind. We do not always have control over our mental processes. Our memories will ‘body slam’ us with the reality of what was done to us. We have no control over these occasional involuntary intrusions. But, we do have control over whether we will allow the grace of Jesus to flow out of us to resolve the matter perpetually.

Pray with me…. Dear Lord, we who have sinned against you, are dependent on your love and grace in abundant supply. And so we pray that we can imitate your character in this same way and become like you making forgiveness a way of life. In Jesus’ Name, amen.



Blessings,
Pastor Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment