Monday, January 28, 2013

1/28/13

The most famous story about lying in American history is the one about George Washington chopping down a cherry tree.  When his father asked him who did it, George supposedly said, “I cannot tell a lie; I did it with my little hatchet.”  That was in a biography written by Parson Weems in the nineteenth century – only one problem… He made up the whole story.  Incredibly, the most famous story about not lying in America was itself a lie!  And truthfulness is still in short supply!  Politicians spin promises, telemarketers scam the elderly, job seekers pad their resumes, repair shops inflate their bills, students steal essays from the Internet and spouses lie to each other about money and infidelity.

Have you heard that the IRS maintains what is informally called a ‘cheater’s account,’ to which people with guilty consciences can send money they know they owe?  There’s a story that the IRS received one letter that read, “My conscience is bothering me because of cheating on my taxes, so I’m sending $10,000.  If my conscience doesn’t clear up, I’ll send the rest of what I owe.”

Proverbs 12:22 NIV declares, “The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in people who are truthful.”

And in our hearts, in our better moments, we are resolved to be completely truthful.  But, in this generation, perhaps more than any other, compromising the truth is almost expected.  Everybody seems to do it and it is considered no big deal.  Wrong!  Speaking of the saved in Revelation 14:5, John reveals, “No lie was found in their mouths; they are blameless.”

Pray with me… Dear Father and Lord, You are the God of all truth and we want to reflect your character from the inside out.  Make us like you… truth tellers in a world of deception.  In the name of Jesus, amen. 

Blessings,
Pastor Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment