Monday, April 11, 2016

4/11/16

Does God Still Speak?
 Alan Ahlgrim
 
God speaks to me...every day! Sometimes He speaks a word of conviction. Sometimes He speaks a word of encouragement. Sometimes He speaks a word of direction. Daily I hear God, usually through the Bible, but often in my spirit. Saint Ignatius called it: “Movements of the soul – thoughts, feelings or desires...given to us by God.”

God has never spoken to me audibly...yet! However, many have trusted me with their stories of hearing clear words that changed their lives. Here’s just a sampling of what I’ve been told by people who have heard the audible voice of God in a time of crisis.
 

  • “I did give you only one life. I gave you eternal life.”
  • “You will have a son, David, who will ease your pain.”
  • “You are in my hands now. You will make it through this just fine. You will serve me. You will find out where. I have spoken.”
  • “Why do you not trust that I will take care of you?”
  • “You’re going to be fine.”
  • “Thank you my daughter for coming to me in your hour of need. Your loved one is in Paradise this day. Rejoice and be glad.”
  • “Never be ashamed to tell someone you’re going to be a minister!”
  • “Enough is enough – if you don’t stop this I’m going to remove my hand of protection and something bad is going to happen.”

Each person I’m quoting was convinced they had heard the audible voice of God. Because I know them and trust them, I believe them. One woman in crisis over the criminal behavior of her husband, heard these exact words. “Tell (him) that if he does this…he will not be okay but you will.” She was fretting and praying while doing dishes in her kitchen and she said, “It was like a megaphone in my ears..."

In his book, The Problem of Pain, C.S. Lewis wrote: “God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pain: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.” 

Someone once wrote me to say, “So, my friend, I wouldn’t worry that you haven’t heard the audible voice of God. There are those of us with whom He must shout to be heard. Your heart and your spirit are so tuned to him, that you hear His slightest whisper.” I don’t know if that is true. What I do know is that daily I seek to hear from God.

Here’s how I believe God speaks to me:

  • Through a quiet reading of His Word.
  • Through a clustering of events, comments and circumstances that resonate in my spirit.
  • Through a voice box strikingly similar to my wife’s!

Some think it’s dangerous to think God will speak personally – I think it’s most dangerous not to! So, what sort of word have you heard from God lately? I believe God is speaking to all of us all the time. While few can quote an audible word, every child of God is privileged to hear His voice.

I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me…they will listen to my voice.” (John 10:14-16)

…Listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways. Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not ignore it. Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors waiting at my doorway.” (Proverbs 8:32-34)

What if you began every day assuming that God is still speaking?

Grace and Peace,
Alan Ahlgrim
Director of Pastor Care
Blessing Ranch Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment