Thursday, June 30, 2011

6/28/2011

I am by nature an optimist. I really don’t think that it has ever required a conscious effort on my part. I have not worked at it. It is just part of the way my Creator has me ‘hardwired.’ It was early in our marriage that my wife asked me, “Don’t you ever have a bad day?” As I recall, that particular day we were experiencing heavy rainfall and had just opened a door to discover that all the sewage in the neighborhood had backed up into our basement. [In retrospect, I’m not sure she intended her rhetorical question as a compliment.] What can I say? In a moment of weakness, I actually saw humor in it. But, when my young bride saw her cherished boxes of Christmas decorations floating in the refuse, she was not thinking that ‘the glass is half full.’

Lately, I have been reading and hearing the wrong stuff to maintain my optimism. Off the top of my head…. The tragic Cailey Anthony trial in Florida, the Congressman Anthony Weiner fiasco, the recent legalization of same-sex marriage in New York, the conviction of former governor Rod Blagojevich in Illinois, another projected raise in the [already record high] national debt ceiling, the Supreme Court’s decision to legalize marketing graphically violent video games for mental and visual consumption by youngsters and the long term negative outlook on employment….to name but a few of the draining influences on my optimism. But, living in the Proverbs devotionally restores my sanity and my positive outlook. When I discover the wisdom of God it provides the balance I need to live with joy in the present and hope for the future. Just this morning:

Proverbs 28: 5, “Evil men do not understand justice, but those who seek the Lord understand it fully.”

Proverbs 28:10, “He who leads the upright along an evil path will fall into his own trap, but the blameless will receive a good inheritance.”

Proverbs 28:12, “When the righteous triumph, there is great elation; but when the wicked rise to power, men go into hiding.”

Proverbs 28:13, “He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.”

Proverbs 28:14, “Blessed is the man who always fears the Lord, but he who hardens his heart falls into trouble.”

Proverbs 28:20, “A faithful man will be richly blessed, but one eager to get rich will not go unpunished.”

Pray with me….. Our Loving Father, You have not left us without Your wisdom. You have given us your perspective on life and living. We thank you. Nothing about life on earth has ever caught You off guard or unprepared. You have provided your grace and justice from the beginning of time. You have consistently shown your tender care for us. And in the midst of the bad news days, we praise you for the enduring good news that Jesus saves, and keeps and satisfies. In His name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment