Tuesday, January 14, 2014

1/14/14

I was in my late teens when I attended a youth rally on a Monday night at Eastview Christian Church in Bloomington, IL.  In those days there was no contemporary Christian music, no video technology with image magnification on big screens in the worship center, little conscience on the part of the adult planners of such rallies about relating to the younger generation [and no padded seats!].  Basically, the service was just like church on Sundays or during revival meetings.  But one component of the rally that night was fresh, alive, life-shaping for me…the preaching of the Word of God.

I have not forgotten that moment when Bob Phillips, the host minister of this 500[!] member church stood up and directed us to Psalm 119:59-60, “I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies.  I made haste, and delayed not to keep thy commandments.” At the time, I didn’t think a thing about the old English translation of the King James Version.  But today it sounds pretty foreign.  Most of us would prefer the New International Version of the same text, “I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes.  I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.”

Those two devotional verses from the Old Testament have so often challenged me.  To this day, I regularly make time for solitude so I can reflect on my life path…past and present, as well as recommit to bring my obedience to up to date.  The value of the preaching of God’s Word is timeless.  It is ‘transgenerational.’ 

Pray with me… Father in heaven, you have not left us without direction for our lives.  We are so glad.  In our better moments we value more than anything Your love and grace, Your wisdom for how to live our lives from the inside out.  In the name of Jesus, amen.

Blessings,
Pastor Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment