Monday, April 7, 2014

4/7/14

I tend to be pretty qualified and conservative when it comes to viewing and recommending movies.  But, I do have a conscience about supporting Christian films.  I want to underwrite the efforts of evangelical producers who are seeking to use media to get the message out.  For this reason, I am doing something today that I almost never do.  I am recommending the movie “God’s Not Dead” as a must-see film for Christian families, especially families with middle/high school age children and college age young adults.

We walked into a local theater a week ago, Friday afternoon with limited expectations in terms of the plot and character development of this film.  I immediately noticed that the theater was full.  The film is about a present day college freshman and devout Christian, Josh Wheaton, who finds his faith challenged on his first day of philosophy class by the dogmatic and argumentative professor Radisson.  He begins class by informing students that they will need to disavow, in writing, the existence of God on that first day, or face the prospect of a failing grade.  As other students in the class begin scribbling the words, “God is Dead” on pieces of paper, Josh finds himself at a crossroads, having to choose between his faith and his future.  Josh offers a nervous, but firm and polite refusal, provoking an irate reaction from his smug professor.  The head to head debate in front of the class and the behind the scenes stories that converge makes for a film that will educate, entertain and inspire moviegoers.

 The film will ignite important conversations and life-changing decisions.   Did I mention that the theater erupted in spontaneous applause at the end?  I was among those standing…

Pray with me… Father, I pray that the content of this very clarifying and convicting film will birth faith in many and confirm the faith of all who know Jesus as Lord.  In His name, amen.

Blessings,
Pastor Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment